Yesterday’s fire at Grenfell Tower in West London has shocked and saddened us all. We want to reassure you we are doing everything we can to keep you safe in your homes. Our blocks have regular health and safety checks. Southwark Council provide a fire risk assessment report frequently, and any recommendations by them are carried out within our day to day or major work plan.
It is also important that you also help minimise the risk of fire in your blocks. You can start by:
- Keeping your balcony clear and clean, with no items blocking the walk ways or entrances to staircases or escape routes
- Ensure that all your smoke alarms are in good working order. If your smoke alarm is bleeping or you are unsure how to test if it is working, please call our repairs team on 020 7450 8000.
- As new front doors are fitted we are insisting that residents’ own gates are moved
- Leaving unwanted furniture in the ground floor lobby, in case another resident wants it, is really dangerous. If someone sets light to it residents may not be able to leave the building
- Residents in Symington are asked to ensure that the emergency fire escape route remains clutter free
- All electrical items should be tested once a year to make sure they have no faults. These tests are called PAT tests, and can be carried out by any electrician. However, Leathermarket JMB do not provide this service so it is something you would have to arrange.
After yesterday’s event, Leathermarket JMB, now has a no tolerance policy in regards to fire safety. If any items are left on balconies or blocking a walk way or escape route, for example, bags, push chairs, boxes etc., you will be asked to move them into your property. If this request is ignored we will remove the items at your expense. If these items do need to be disposed of, please call us on 020 7450 8000 to arrange a free bulk removal service.