The planning application for the proposed housing development on the site of the Harper Road flats has been submitted by Family Mosaic, the housing organisation that has been working closely with Southwark Council’s Elephant & Castle regeneration team on the plans. (top picture)
A separate planning application has been submitted for landscaping work to transform the grassed area between Symington House, Falmouth Road flats and the new development. (bottom picture)
The full planning applications and associated information can be downloaded from the Southwark Council website.
- Read the full application for the development from the Southwark Council website
- Read the full application for the landscaping plans from the Southwark Council website
Both applications are being rushed through the planning process over the summer holiday period to meet the tight timescales for the developers. The planning consultation finishes on 15 August 2010.
Residents, the Lawson Estate Tenants & Residents Association and the JMB have all expressed concerns about the development.
The major concerns are:
- The development is gated off and is not integrated in to the existing community on the Lawson Estate
- The proximity of the new building to the Falmouth Road flats
- The lack of proper consultation on the development – with NO consultation at all with residents, TRA nor JMB on the proposed landscaping scheme on JMB land
- There has been no formal consultation with the JMB, despite the fact that the JMB has a formal legal agreement to manage the area where the development is and to manage the homes on it.
- That the planning application consultation is taking place over the summer holiday period
The JMB and Lawson TRA are now working to see what they can do to make sure that residents’ views are heard.